Preparing Yourself For A Long Hospital Stay

Welcome to my site about tactics you can use to cope with hospitalization. I am Edward Collins. I created this site after a long hospitalization left me feeling uncomfortable and dying to go home. I was ill-prepared for the lengthy stay at that facility. Despite my nurses and doctors’ best efforts, I felt lonely, bored and somewhat isolated during my stay. On this site, I will help you prepare for hospitalization well before you need your next medical procedure. Please come by my site daily to learn the information you need to know. Thank you for visiting my website about preparing for hospitalization.

Help! How Can You Tell If Something Is Wrong With Your Blood Pressure?

Health & Medical Blog

Not everyone has the convenience of having a tool to check your blood pressure from the comfort of your own home. If you happen to be one of those people, would you know how to tell if your blood pressure is too high or too low based on other signs and symptoms? More importantly, do you know the difference between the truths and the myths regarding high and low blood pressure?

If you really aren't sure how to answer the questions above and you lack a way to check your blood pressure at home, it is definitely worth taking the time to learn more about blood pressure.

You Will Have a Nose Bleed If Your Blood Pressure Is High, Right?

Technically, this is something most medical experts are going to tell you is more of a myth than a truth. Statistically, only 17 percent of patients treated in the emergency room for high blood pressure also had a nosebleed.  This means the other 83 percent of patients didn't have a nosebleed. There is, however, one exception. A hypertensive crisis occurs when your blood pressure is dangerously high. When your blood pressure reaches a dangerously high level, nosebleeds are a common symptom. Typically, unbearable headaches, difficulty breathing, and extreme anxiety are also associated with dangerously high blood pressure.  

Low Blood Pressure Makes You Tired And Struggle To Function, Right?

Yes, this is actually true. While bouts of low blood pressure aren't necessarily a cause for concern, having low blood pressure can make it difficult for a person to get just about anything done. While you are suffering from low blood pressure, you may feel dizzy, lightheaded, sick to your stomach, cold, tired, or lethargic. It is not uncommon for someone with low blood pressure to struggle to concentrate and experience short and rapid breathing.

So When Do You Need a Doctor?

Dehydration is one of the more common and less serious reasons someone experiences low blood pressure. This is why it is a good idea to drink a tall glass of water and get something nutritious to eat if you believe your blood pressure is a little low. After getting some water and a snack, give your body time to digest the food and see if you feel better. If you are not feeling better, or you are feeling worse, it wouldn't hurt to consult a doctor to make sure the cause isn't more serious as low blood pressure can also be a sign of heart problems, pregnancy, low blood sugar, and thyroid problems.

When it comes to high blood pressure, on the other hand, a trip to the doctor (or emergency room) is necessary if you believe you are in a hypertensive crisis. If you experience an unbearable headache and you are struggling to get your vision to become clear and focused, you need medical attention immediately. If the situation does not appear to be a hypertensive crisis, it would be alright for you to just make an appointment with your primary care provider to get your blood pressure checked and possibly monitored to make sure you shouldn't be on medication.

The only way for you to be 100 percent certain your blood pressure isn't too low or too high would be to get it checked by a monitoring device. There is certainly no harm in having it checked by a medical professional if you are concerned about it. 


16 September 2016